CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Celebrating Halloween

What are your thoughts on Halloween?  As Christians, there is much controversy on whether or not we should celebrate this holiday because of it's pagan roots.  After studying 1 and 2 Kings last year and doing more research on idols and the origin of certain holidays, I began to question some of the traditions our family was participating in on certain holidays, namely Halloween, Christmas, and Easter.  As a child, we always treated Halloween as innocent fun, where we dressed up in fun costumes and got tons of candy.  We never got into the ugliness and darkness that often comes with this holiday.  But after studying scripture, I didn't want to make light of what it said and ultimately dishonor God by partaking in something that I thought was innocent and ignore the uneasy feeling I was having about celebrating it.  Being a person who is very black or white, I need scripture to say, "do not celebrate Halloween, only evil comes of it."  But as we know, scripture doesn't mention anything about Halloween.  So this is where I have prayed and prayed about what our family should do this year.

Finally, this past Saturday I felt like God gave me the answer that just made everything make sense.  It was the simple question, what would Jesus do?  Jesus would want us to "Let our light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your father in Heaven." Matthew 5:16.   Ironically, this was my scripture memory verse for the week.  Well, nothing is ironic with God!!  Would we find Jesus condemning the pagans/gentiles or would we find him out fellowshipping with other sinners?  As Christians, we are to take every opportunity to bring Christ into every aspect of our lives.  Too many Christians become locked in with an "in-reach ministry" vs "outreach ministries."  Jesus in one of his parables says "No one lights a lamp and hides it in a jar or puts it under a bed.  Instead, he puts it on a stand, so that those who come in can see the light."  Luke 8:16.  So this Halloween, our family has chosen not to keep our light hidden but to make use of this wonderful opportunity to bring glory to God amongst all the darkness in this world.  I want to close by saying we are not judging anyone who chooses or doesn't choose to celebrate this holiday.  We know that God is the ultimate judge, He knows the condition of each of our hearts, and this is just what our family feels God has led us to do.  Stay tuned for pictures of the kids in their adorable costumes and some fun crafts we've created this week.

1 comments:

Ashley Jansen

Glad we'll be one of the sinners you'll be fellowshipping with Sunday evening. Totally kidding, I understand what you are saying. Mark and I have always said just to keep the 'spook' out of it. Pumpkins, spiders, and cats not witches, ghosts, and skeletons. Death isn't spooky; it's glorious. Loving CBS and Luke :) Missing you lately!!

Post a Comment